Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital (SMGH) is one of the two hospital sites of the Middlesex Hospital Alliance.
The hospital has experienced tremendous support from the community since it opened its doors in 1914 as the result of a generous donation of property and hospital supplies through community fund-raising.
Since the early days of the hospital, many milestones have been achieved with support from donors including the building of a two-story hospital in 1962; expansion of two additional floors in 1975; the modernization of the hospital’s emergency and ambulatory care departments in the early 2000's; and the addition of a CT scanner in 2007.
The Hospital Today
SMGH is proud to have leading physicians and specialists available in a variety of areas. Advanced procedures are now available locally with excellent physicians, surgeons, nurses and allied healthcare workers, providing access and timely care for residents in the region.
Medical Services Available at SMGH:
- Emergency services - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by dedicated emergentologists, family physicians, general practitioners, registered nurses with on-call surgeons and anesthetists. A specialized intensive care unit (ICU) is available for patients requiring close observation.
- Diagnostic services - comprehensive laboratory diagnostics, general radiology x-ray, CT scan, bone mineral density testing, echocardiography, mammography, ultrasound, and pulmonary function testing.
- Surgical services - general surgery, orthopaedic, urology, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, gynecology, obstetrics, plastics and cosmetics.
- Nursing services - dedicated nurses working together with physicians and other allied healthcare workers to ensure patients receive the very best care
- Mom & Baby Clinic/Obstetric services - family centred obstetrical services in a relaxed, flexible and home-like birth atmosphere with service for epidural anesthesia and 24 hour on-call coverage for caesarean sections.
- Ambulatory care (outpatient) services - audiology, colposcopy, endoscopy, nutrition counselling, pain clinic, and the Diabetes Education Centre.
For more information about SMGH, please visit the web site of the Middlesex Hospital Alliance.